Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Relationships Part 10

 


Yesterday, I invited you to use John Townsend’s title, People Fuel, to see how relationships were strengthening or stressing you or maybe just leave you feeling “Meh”.  Not every relationship or interaction is easily classified or categorized.  My conversation with the server in a restaurant doesn’t need to be life changing for either of us, but I pray will be filled with kindness and grace. 

 

Even as relationships sometimes defy definition, it is still helpful to have some structure to talk about the people who feed and fuel our lives.  This is where Townsend’s book is helpful.  He has seven groups.  Today, we will explore the first four, tomorrow we will encounter the other three.  I invite you to add this to the practice of reviewing relationships each day.  Is there a name or two that immediately and instantly pops into your mind when you read brief description below? 

 

The first four of Townsend’s relationships are positive:

1.     Coaches – people who share and shine their expertise/experience with you.  Those who offer you helpful insights or listen to you.

2.     Comrades/companions – friends whose care makes all the difference, those who leave a lingering impression on your life.

3.     Causals – those who we encounter every now and then, but don’t necessarily seek out.

4.     Colleagues – people we work alongside on committees or to get tasks done.

 

Note that some of the people you may have just thought of may fit in two or three categories.  For example, I am blessed to work with a GREAT church staff as well as church leadership.  They are both colleagues and comrades/companions.  And because I love alliteration, our church is blessed with people I can collaborate, cooperate, and even conspire with in the best sense of those words.  I have coaches who listen to me including a great spiritual director and have had professionals who have helped me think about my career and emotional health.  I think about causal folks, like the grocery clerk who works every Friday morning and checks me out.  I usually seek out his line if I see him just to check in with him. 

 

Who are some of the folks in each category in your life?  I appreciate that Townsend says you will ALWAYS need coaches in your life.  We never graduate from life or cross the finish line of relationships.  You are evolving and expanding (remember sometimes we change and forget to tell ourselves or others!).  Who are the soul friends who might be both coach and companion – like David and Jonathan or Naomi and Ruth?  Who are those people you encounter on a regular basis causally…but meaningfully?  And who are the people you are working alongside in the art project called life or to accomplish an important task?  See if this framework might help you each day review and replay the relationships that fill your day.

 

Prayer: God of connections where Your presence dances among us, help me continue to be part of this movement between “me” and “we” in these August days.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blessings for May

  Happy May Day everyone!!  As we enter a new month, it can be a bit like a blank canvas. I wonder what prayers are stirring and swirling wi...