Teacher: For
everything that happens in life—there is a season, a right time for
everything under heaven:
A
time to be born, a time to die;
a time to plant, a time to
collect the harvest;
A time to kill, a time to heal;
a time to tear down, a time to
build up;
A time to cry, a time to laugh;
a time to mourn, a time to
dance;
A time to scatter stones, a time to pile them up;
a time for
a warm embrace, a time for keeping your distance;
A time to search, a time to give up as lost;
a time to keep, a time to throw
out;
A time to tear apart, a time to bind together;
a time to be quiet, a time to
speak up;
A time to love, a time to hate;
a time to go to war, a time to
make peace. (The Voice Translation)
How are these words stirring and singing to you as we continue to lean in
and listen to the wisdom of this passage?
Are there insights that you’ve discerned and discovered by returning to
these words over the last few days? Are
there lingering frustrations because you are trying to figure out when there is
ever a time for war or hate or killing? I know those 3 or 28 on the list certainly
cause my mind to whirl and soul to swirl, and eventually I conclude I can’t
rationally and reasonably explain everything!
One of the lines I love is about mourning and dancing. This makes me wonder if maybe this list isn’t
about separate, segregated, segmented times, but about how the two times on
each line above might influence the other.
Is there a connection between keeping and throwing out? Are some of the times inextricably in tension
with each other? Because at funerals, I
have seen tears that no box of Kleenex can stop and laughter that heals the
soul. I have witnessed people share
honestly raw emotions and find healing from the ache. How have love and hate always been
counterweights to each other and at the same time coexisting? How have war and peace always been not
distant and disconnected, but so close that we barely know where one begins and
the other ends? I pray today, you
might see these 28 ingredients as part of the recipe of each of our lives, that
when they get mixed and mingled together, they each contribute to the stew we
serve others in our stories.
Hold this. Hear how these words
have been part of your life and continue to be part of the song we are all
singing, both individually and collectively these days. Amen.

No comments:
Post a Comment