For those of a certain vintage, you cannot hear Ecclesiastes 3 without
hearing The Byrds’ song, Turn! Turn! Turn! I think this is good. Because your life has a soundtrack. Your life has a melody and music that has
been playing, maybe in the background or being blasted from your stereo right
now. As you look over your life, what
music connects to a place or people? For
example, I can think of the connection between “Let There Be Peace on Earth”
and the place summer camp, even still seeing some of my friends’ faces around
the campfire as we sung that hymn. Or I
think of 80s rock bands that connect with my move to Des Moines and listening
to those songs with my friends. Or I
still hear the song that my wife and I danced to at our wedding. Music teaches and tells us truths that
ordinary words (like mine) just can’t do.
So today, to your chart, list songs ~ doesn’t have to be from the hymnal
~ that defined or described the seasons.
Or what song/songs today are helping to soothe your soul? Do you hear other songs, besides The Byrds,
in the words of Ecclesiastes? Play with
music today. Listen to music today. Let the notes reverberate and resonate in
your soul. Amen.
Thursday, August 6, 2026
The Seasonality of God ~ Soundtracks of Faith
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Seasonality of God ~ Prayer
Wisdom-writing, song-singing, silence-tending, presence-sharing God, meet us here and now in this messy moment where breaking down and bui...
-
You discern my thoughts from far away, O God. You search out my path and my lying down. And are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 13...
-
Words create worlds...said Abraham Heschel Words that I speak. Words that I hear. Words that I want to hold at a distant. Words that ...
-
Like yesterday, today, we are going to chew on a big bite out of the Sermon on the Mount. Like yesterday, check in with yourself. If i...
No comments:
Post a Comment