Monday, September 23, 2024

Gospeling your life ~ Flummoxed by Parables

 


Matthew 22 can feel like looking at the backside of a quilt where the threads run in all different directions, and it looks like chaos.  Or to put it more bluntly, this chapter is a hot mess!  Jesus starts with a wedding banquet that turns to a scene out of Lord of Flies or Game of Thrones.  As the parable starts off you can hear Pachelbel’s Canon in D playing softly by strings in the background.  You can smell the roasted oxen for miles and miles.  The DJ is setting up in the corner of the dance floor and the disco ball is hung.  The servants go out, wearing tuxedos, knocking politely on the door, and saying, “The King doth requesteth your presence at the party-th.”  And everyone was like, “Nah, just too busy” and others get downright violent.  Good lord who let this parable into the Bible!  And the king gets upset and sends in the troops, because violence often begets more violence ~ we cannot bomb our way to peace.  After the smoke settles, the king has all this food prepared so he says, “Fine, go get the least and lost and lonely”.  Which sounds sweet, until one poor chap gets tossed out on his ear for wearing white to the wedding that was reserved only for the bride.  I don’t get it.

 

That is perhaps the point.  We are not supposed to “get” parables.  They are meant to confound and confuse us.  They are meant to frustrate and flummox us. They are meant to reflect the world as it is, with glimpses of how the world might be, and how messy (like the backside of a quilt) life is.  Beauty and brokenness sit side by side.  Too often, pastors boil down parable’s messiness into an easy to apply treatment for your life.  I am not sure what that would be for Chapter 22?  Throw a party, invite people you don’t really know or like, but become like Tim Gunn judging what they wear?  Or that we are missing the party because of our busyness and excuses?  Or maybe this parable is a mirror to our humanness.  I don’t think the king here is a metaphor for God.  I don’t think the lesson here is wear nice clothes to church.  I think this parable is meant to show us as we live out the realm of God we will bring our full humanness to the adventure.  Our halos will always have smudges and smears on them.  I am like the king.  I have grand plans and when people blow me off, I get angry.  While I don’t send out an army, I do say things that I regret and wish I had not.  I can think I am doing a good deed, only to judge someone I am helping as unworthy.  Keep turning this parable as a lens for your life.  As you do, let the words of Chapter 22:34-40 about loving God, neighbor and self (a trinity of love that is always in process, evolving, expanding as we explore and seek to embody), let this center/core tenet of our faith mix and mingle in your life as we Gospel our life according to Matthew climbing this mountain of faith.  One quick word on chapter 23 – go back to chapter 5, the Sermon on the Mount and hold the words here in conversation with the Beatitudes.  There is a lot here in these chapters and I pray you will pay attention to what sparks your imagination, stirs your soul, and what causes you to scratch your head in disbelief ~ I am still looking at you Parable of the Wedding feast!  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ As as the persistent and persuasive

  Read Luke 18-19 ~ So I love the persistent and persuasive woman who keeps begging the judge for justice.  I see her showing up in the cour...