Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Gospeling Your Life ~ Playful with Parables

 


Today, we continue with more perplexing/puzzling parables in Matthew 25.  Rather than me offering an explanation, I want to encourage your examination and exploration of the parables.  Which of the parables (Bridesmaids, Talents, Sheep and Goats) do you find yourself gravitating towards?  Once you have one parable, read the narrative several times, perhaps in different translation (you can go to www.biblegateway.com to find different translations of scripture).  For example, I could dwell with the Bridesmaid parable thinking about times I have felt prepared and also about times when I have felt the oil in my lamp of my soul on empty!  Times when I am on the inside and times I feel left out.  Times I have felt ready and moments I am faking it until I try to make it.  Moments when I join the party and times, I am late or never go.  I am both a wise and foolish Bridesmaid.  Or I can ponder how, where, and with whom I share my time, talent, and treasure.  Note your calendar and credit card statements are moral documents that tell you what you really value, and who you value.  When have you shared God’s love with someone unintentionally or unaware (note that the “sheep” don’t remember or recall how they entertained Jesus, they simply sought to share God’s grace with others - see vs. 37-38).  One final note, too often with parables we are so serious/somber.  We treat parables as a puzzle to solve with our Ovaltine/cereal box decoder ring.  We wrestle for a single lesson like we do out of fairy tales, but parables are messy and reflect humanness back to us.  Hold this, let these words soak and simmer in your soul, and I pray you might discover a playful and prayerful spirit as you ponder on of the parables in chapter 25.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ As as the persistent and persuasive

  Read Luke 18-19 ~ So I love the persistent and persuasive woman who keeps begging the judge for justice.  I see her showing up in the cour...