Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Encountering Wolves

 

Italians have a phrase for the upending of life ~ lupus in fabula ~ Fabula means fairy tale ~ or the idealized version of life.  Fabula means those times when everything is going well.  Lupus is wolf or trouble or conflict.  There is always a wolf in the fairy tale~ might be an actual wolf or that time when we get lost in the woods and can’t see our way out.  If you avoid/deny the wolf, you also avoid/deny/diminish your own agency.  When you reviewed the high points, low points, and turning points of your life yesterday, where did you discover wolves or times you got lost or stuck?  One of the realities of the world today is that the wolves may not be literal, but many still feel their warm breath on the back of their necks.  For our ancestors, the human brain needed a radar to be on alert for wolves or lions or bears…oh my!!  But where I live in FL, in my HOA, I don’t worry too much about encountering a bear, an alligator maybe, but bear or wolf not so much.  So, the wolves become metaphorical.  I can worry about discrimination and violence and pain that humans cause each other.  I can worry about the wolves of challenges that my children will face as they set out into the world.  I can worry about the wolves of our church that challenge us to be faithful in these days.  And when anxiety feeds and fuels my life, I can end up over functioning and overthinking everything.  If I just do one more thing, then I might feel in control.  If we just have one more meeting, we might come up with a better plan to attract more people.  This can create a gap in our lives, where what we preach about God (nothing separates us from God’s love) but we may act as if grace is all up to us…or we judge who deserves grace…or we are not sure grace can be trusted. 

This week, as you take on the role of a lifestorian, what wolves have you encountered in life?  What wolves do you fear are lurking around the corner?  These could be physical/health or relational or communal or emotional or spiritual or all the above.  Let your life speak honestly to you…and may you hold the truth that God’s love holds you with an embrace this day.  Amen.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Morning Prayer

  God of a new month, where what is unresolved from April can linger and leave an imprint, meet us in ways that we sense Your presence as Ch...