Tuesday, June 21, 2022

Morning Meditation

 


How did yesterday go?  Did you try to employ the three questions:

~ Does this need to be said? 

~ Does this need to be said by me?

~ Does this need to be said right now?

 

Was there a situation when this was helpful?  Did you find yourself trying to remember the questions?  Was there a frustrating experience when the moment passed, and you didn’t get to chime in because these three questions slowed you down?  Are you wondering, in a fast-paced world, if such questions can really be helpful to yourself or others?

 

By no means do I think these are the only questions that could improve the quality of our communication and connections and stories we are telling ourselves and others.  Recently a church member offered these three great questions she asks:

~ What should I say?

~ How should I say it?

~ Who should I say it to?

 

Or maybe you remember the philosophy of Socrates who said we should ask: Is this true?  Is this kind and good?  Is this necessary to say? 

 

If one of these sets works better for you, great!!  Or you are welcome to create and compose your own three questions that help you reflect before you respond.  Part of engaging the internal editor and our co-author God is giving some space before we speak or write or send that text.  One of the blessings of email and text is that you can write it and walk away before sending.  Most of the time, when I come back to what I have written after taking a walk and asking these three questions, I end up editing and grateful that I didn’t just push “send” immediately.  We need space to reflect.  We need space to listen and let God offer wisdom.  We need grace and love to come alongside to help.  I pray you will find ways this week to lean in and listen for God who is co-authoring your story that is unfolding right here and now this day. 

 

Prayer: Writing God, weave in space today where You can help me prayerfully ponder how I respond to others I encounter.  Help strengthen muscle where my first step is to breathe and be open to You rather than thinking I have the perfect response and don’t want to miss my moment.  May such a prayer practice bless our world to be more thoughtful, intentional, and clear in with what is in our hearts.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...