Thursday, July 29, 2021

Growing and Dwelling in Christ

 

To equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ (Ephesians 4:12)

 

I remember when I was a kid, I loved getting a new toy.  I would come home, rip open the packaging, toss that aside, and within seconds I would be running my new Matchbox car all over the couch and end tables and carpeting.  Perhaps we never outgrow the euphoria of buying something new.  Only the cost of what causes excitement increases with every birthday candle added to our cake. 

 

When Paul speaks about equipping God’s people for mission and ministry, I think about the question, “What new toys am I adding to the toy box of my soul?”  To be clear, this is often not tactile or tangible.  Often, I add new insights from a podcast that speaks to my soul.  Or I add a new thought from a book I am reading.  Or I add a new practice to my prayer time.  We used to speak of adding “tools to our toolbox”.  But that sounds way to serious and somber for me.  I want to add playful and prayerful parts to my life because I believe sharing God’s love is not a burden but an indescribable blessing.  I want to add toys to how love flows through me creatively and carefully and hope-filled-ly (not sure that is a word, but it should be). 

 

Paul reminds us that the church is called to be a community where we listen and learn from one another.  The pastor is not the only who can help you find new toys or tools or resources so you can let your light shine.  We all participate in this work faithfully. 

 

I think of our Oasis Center for Reflection and Renewal as a laboratory where we can practice and participate together.  From Greg leading drumming on Thursdays to our Artful Prayer group guiding us to let our inner artist loose to Sacred Conversations on Race to my Summer Bible Camp in August, these are opportunities to experience and grow and let God get a word in edgewise in how you might build your life in Christ. 

 

Where are you growing?  How can our church create spaces and places for each of us to both offer our understandings and encounter one another in life-giving ways?  May these questions be a prayer seeking God’s presence every day in the months to come.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Friday Prayer

  Hear these words from Rev. Nadia Bolz-Weber: Richard Rohr once wrote that “Holiness never  feels like holiness, it just feels like you’r...