Tuesday, May 18, 2021

Laughter's Healing Art Part Three



I love this picture of the squirrel.  But, I understand fully if you think that my morning meditations have become like the Jack Hanna show.  I understand if you are thinking, "Wait, is he going to do animal posts all week long?  How many meaningful insights can I get back looking at a frog or a squirrel?"  Or, perhaps you are just grateful you didn't pay any money for this or have completely stopped reading.  

Here is why this picture awakens joy and laughter's healing art.

I had pulled into the parking lot of the church, with a head full of agenda items to accomplish.  I was ready to take on the day and minister to people with God's love.  Then, I saw this squirrel hanging out, looking a bit like the Karate Kid balancing himself on a post in the crane position.  Only this particular squirrel is eating a nut s/he happened to find at the church.

Yesterday, I encouraged you to pay attention to what is around you.

The next step is to pay attention to what is stirring within you.

I saw this squirrel as a reminder of our care for creation.  The holy call to serve and preserve creation.  Our church campus is alive with frogs and squirrels and bugs and a beautiful black snake I see every now and then sunning on the sidewalk.  I thought about St. Francis preaching to the birds one time.  No, I didn't actually test or try out any sermon ideas on this particular squirrel for which s/he seemed relieved.  

This squirrel, like the frog from yesterday, made me smile.  When you or I sense joy, I believe God shares the joy with us.  God delights when we pay attention to the vastness and aliveness of the world - God delights when we sense our connections.  Science speaks of a web of interconnectedness.

Today, I invite you to pay attention to what you see and hear and smell.  I invite you to take a moment to notice and note (or even write down) what you are experiencing.  How did seeing a particular creature or flower or part of the world awaken a thought or insight within you?

The 16th Century Reformer, Martin Luther said, "“If you could understand a single grain of wheat you would die of wonder.”  Today, I invite you not just to understand, but to be open to what God is doing around you throughout this day God has made.

Prayer: May I rejoice and be glad in the holiness that is unfolding before me and within me each moment today.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...