Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Melody of Lent


 

Nearer, my God, to you, nearer to you.  I’ll bear the cross as Christ calls me to do and pray each day anew; Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

When I am wandering as Jacob did, and in the deepest night the path is hid, my dreams will bring me too, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Let Jacob’s ladder fill the sky above, and angels carry down the faith and love to keep this goal in view, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Then, waking from the night to morning air by Bethel’s stone, I’ll know you heard my prayer, and how my yearning grew, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

So far, you have heard two stories this week.  On Monday, the story of Jacob on which this hymn is inspired.  Yesterday, the story of Sarah Flower Adams whose creativity and faithfulness wrote these beautiful words.  Today, I want you to listen and lean into your story with this hymn.

Where do you feel like you are carrying a cross?  Physically or emotionally or spiritually?  Where do you feel weary and worn out with wounds and wants?

Second, where do you feel like you are wandering?  On Ash Wednesday I suggested in my sermon that we are not pilgrims but nomads.  That we don’t know our destination or even the directions we are supposed to go.  But like nomads we wander, taking the next faithful step which could be backwards or side-wards or even no-wards!! 

Third, where have you had a Jacob like encounter and experience of God that surprised you this week so far?

Finally, fourth, where might this day you take a stone into your hands and pronounce that God is here and now in your less-than perfect life?

Prayer May this hymn be a soundtrack to our souls and lives this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...