Tuesday, March 9, 2021

The Melody of Lent


 

Nearer, my God, to you, nearer to you.  I’ll bear the cross as Christ calls me to do and pray each day anew; Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

When I am wandering as Jacob did, and in the deepest night the path is hid, my dreams will bring me too, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Let Jacob’s ladder fill the sky above, and angels carry down the faith and love to keep this goal in view, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Then, waking from the night to morning air by Bethel’s stone, I’ll know you heard my prayer, and how my yearning grew, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

This hymn was written by Sarah Fuller Flower Adams.  She was born February 22, 1805.  Her story is one of being on a trailblazer.  Since March is Women’s History Month, it is good to know a bit about her life.  Her parents encouraged her to be a free-thinker.   Adams broke the female record for climbing up Ben Lomond. She was friends with the poet, Robert Browning, the two often discussed religious doubts.  She was also encouraged by her pastor, William Johnson Fox, to question and explore her faith.  She was friends with the feminist philosopher Harriet Taylor Mill, who introduced Sarah to her husband, William Bridges Adams.  Adams supported and wanted his wife, Sarah, to act and write.  In 1841, she published her longest work, Vivia Perpetua, A Dramatic Poem. In this work, a young wife who refuses to submit to male control and renounce her Christian beliefs is put to death.  In 1840, she wrote 13 hymns, of which, “Nearer My God to Thee” was one.  Unfortunately, Adams died at the young age of 43, but she was known for her keen intellect and thoughtfulness and faithfulness.

As you listen again to the words of this hymn, how might knowing more about Adams’ story give you new insights to the depth of this hymn?  For me, I wonder if Jacob’s wrestling reflected Adams’ own wrestling with religion and faith and societal norms?  I wonder if she found moments of God’s grace as friends like Browning, Fox, Mill, and her husband encouraged her to be God-created self?  I hear now in this hymn longing for God to be near, especially when the night is long, the stars are not shining, and life feels difficult.  This beautiful hymn reminds us that doubt is not the opposite of faith.  Rather doubts can help feed and fuel our faith.  Doubts, questions can help drive and direct our faith.  Yet, unfortunately, church (as an institution historically) has not always seen this, preached this or encouraged this.  But, there have been faithful communities throughout time where women and men, young and old, rich and poor, black and white, gay and straight, all God’s children have sought to struggle and prayerfully call on God to meet us in our wrestling in such a time as this.  Our church stands on the shoulders of such fierce and faithful striving for the sacred.  Given the history of Sarah Fuller Adams, Nearer, My God, to Thee can be our anthem! 

Prayer: Wake us from the night to this morning tide with a trace of Your grace, O God, that we need every minute today.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Week ~ Wednesday ~ Prayer

  If we are struggling to seek God single-heartedly, to learn to weep the anger out of ourselves is a matter of self-respect. —Maggie Ross ...