Thursday, March 11, 2021

The Melody of Lent

Nearer, my God, to you, nearer to you.  I’ll bear the cross as Christ calls me to do and pray each day anew; Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

When I am wandering as Jacob did, and in the deepest night the path is hid, my dreams will bring me too, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Let Jacob’s ladder fill the sky above, and angels carry down the faith and love to keep this goal in view, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Then, waking from the night to morning air by Bethel’s stone, I’ll know you heard my prayer, and how my yearning grew, Nearer my God to you, nearer my God, to you, nearer to you.

Part of the power of returning to a hymn/piece of music time and time again is you can explore the contours of what you are hearing.  You can sit with the marriage of tune and text.  You can enter in with both familiarity and freshness.  That is, I can hold the hymn both having had experience with this for four days now, but also open to what today, right now, will teach me.

A couple of questions ~ where do you long to be closer to God today, especially in moments of stress or strain?

Where is the path hid for you in your life?  Is there a situation or decision where you don’t know the way forward?

Where has been a glimpse/trace of God’s grace?  I would love to hear from you in the comments!

As you wake today, what is your yearning (or deepest desire or passionate prayer)?  Name this aloud so you can hear yourself speak the words.

As a prayer today, I share a wonderful version of Nearer My God To Thee by Sam Cooke and The Soul Stirrers above.  Enjoy!!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...