Monday, August 17, 2020

Music Monday




A bit of nostalgia today from my growing up.  The Brooklyn Duo in the video above is playing, "True Colors".  It is a beautiful and moving rendition.  

If you are not familiar with the lyrics, here they are:

You with the sad eyes
Don't be discouraged
Oh I realize
Its hard to take courage
In a world full of people
You can lose sight of it all
And the darkness inside you
Can make you feel so small

But I see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
And that's why I love you
So don't be afraid to let them show
Your true colors
True colors are beautiful
Like a rainbow

Part of what is powerful is the juxtaposition of how we can feel the mixture of fear and faithfulness - both overwhelm and courageous - both unsure and hope-filled that we will find a way.  Inside our hearts and minds is a roller coaster we ride everyday.  That coaster is built both by what we experience and encounter as well as our attempts to make meaning of it all.  

I know I was taught and told that if you paid enough attention to courageous parts, eventually confidence will take hold.  I am not sure of that.  I think it is a daily invitation to listen and lean in to both.  

I don't think faithfulness ever fully rids itself of fear, because there are things in this world that are plain scary.  I don't think courage ever fully puffs out its chest in the face of all the brokenness, because what we face is difficult.  Finding a way to dance with both - the creativity in the chaos - is the call of life.  Sometimes the chaos seems like it is swirling...and sometimes the goodness, newness, hopefully is surging.  Sometime both are side-by-side.  That is actually what the story of Genesis 1:1 is all about.

The true colors of humanity are not just rosy red...but also beautiful grays.  The true colors of life are both blue and green.  Outrageous oranges and mellow yellows.

I invite you today to get out your crayons...color your life, your prayers, your fears and your faithfulness together.  And may you find more than a trace both in praying this way and living every moment this day.

Blessings ~~ 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation ~ Earth Week

  One of my favorite authors is John O’Donohue.   I encourage you to read slowly this poem, prayer of his:   FOR A NEW BEGINNING   I...