Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Encountering Joy ~ take two


“To get the full value of joy you must have someone to divide it with.” ― Mark Twain

How are you doing staying awake and aware of the joy swirling in your life?  Do you sense that you are spotting or sensing it a bit more?  Or did you read the last post...and prompting think, "I am not sure I can do this whole 'joy' thing in the world today...thanks but no thanks!"?

Part of the reason why I think we struggle with joy is because of our isolation and individualism in the world today.

Yes, I know we are more connected than ever.  The fact that I can share these words over the fiber optic lines of the web...the face that social media drives so much of our national conversation...the fact that we count our "Friends" in the hundreds or thousands ~ many of whom we never see face-to-face tells us that.

But usually, when I encounter other's joys on-line, it can awaken that compare and compete part of my reptilian brain.  I can think, "Wait, she got a new car..." which makes me think about a new car.  Or I read how someone did something, and suddenly I want my own amazing, awesome thing to do.  We reply to someone's tweet, text, post with words like, "That is so great you ran five miles, let me know when you are up to seven and I'll join you."  Underneath our compliments are our attempts to compete...to feel a bit better about ourselves. 

Yet, joy longs to be shared with someone else.

Otherwise, all we are left with is the deflating phrase, "You shoulda been there." 

You shoulda been there...cause then we could just look at each other and bust out laughing.  Or we could complete each other's thoughts about the experience.  Or we could just give that knowing look.

We want to share joy...because we know that unlike other resources...joy is generative.  Unlike the dollar in my wallet - when I spend it - it is gone.  When I give joy to someone else - I receive back tenfold.  Joy multiplies when shared.

Notice the importance of sharing...not competing or comparing.  Joy doesn't multiply when you share with someone and they feel like they have to up the ante.  "Oh, you went on a trip to Alaska.  Well, when I was there..." Insert the story that is really about him or her...how awesome that was. 

Joy that is shared...doesn't need the other to add on...just receive.  Just participate in the moment fully with you.

You can see this in laughter.  When someone starts to laugh, it awakes, alerts something with you that wants to join in...unless the laughter is at your expense.  Or when my kids tell me about a good grade s/he got...there is a joy in sharing this.  Their joy fills me with joy.

For the rest of this week...note and notice places where someone shares joy with you.

What is your reaction or response?
Good...bad...or ugly.
Remember your response is what it is.  You don't need to judge it or pull your emotions into submission.  But when we pay attention to what joy stirs within us...it is always my prayer that we might find more than a trace of God's grace in those moments.

Blessings ~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...