Monday, September 12, 2016
In Honor of Fifteen Years, Part Two
I continue today with reflections on fifteen years of ministry, particularly on this unfolding love affair with God and the traces of God's grace in my life. The essay today seeks to search for God int he ordinary, even mundane, days of ministry.
The wooden stairs creaked with each step;
Cobwebs patiently waited to latch onto my hair;
Down to the old steam boiler I went,
Checking the water level before service that Sunday.
In the belly of the church,
Dirt beneath my feet,
Sanctuary above my head,
History all around me;
I tended to the boiler.
There are many ways to prepare for Sunday morning:
Sermons;
Bulletins and liturgy;
Hymns;
Ushers, greeters and don't forget the coffee!
But boilers...
Not taught or told about in seminary.
Nor were the bats that I would find sleeping on the walls of the office;
Nor snow that needed to be shoveled
Nor what to do during the church
Garage sale
Bazaar
Supper
Or other familiar fundraiser.
But in those ordinary moments,
I discovered my own burning bush.
For in the quiet and solitude of the basement,
Outside brushing the snow off,
Or pricing someone else cast off...hopefully to net a few dollars for the budget,
There God was...
Always with me...
If I wasn't too annoyed or self-absorbed
To miss that amazing trace of God's grace
In those very holy ordinary moments.
Blessings and peace ~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Prayer
God promises to all who trust in the gospel forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, the ...
-
You discern my thoughts from far away, O God. You search out my path and my lying down. And are acquainted with all my ways. Psalm 13...
-
Words create worlds...said Abraham Heschel Words that I speak. Words that I hear. Words that I want to hold at a distant. Words that ...
-
Through the Word all things came into being… What is coming into being with your word this week? Maybe your Advent word is helping ...
No comments:
Post a Comment