Friday, September 4, 2026

The Beauty of the Ordinary Prayer

 


Guide me, O my great Redeemer, who holds my loves, longings, and losses.  Guide me, O my great Sustainer, who gives me strength each second of each day.  Guide me, O my great Creator, who isn’t finished with me yet.  Guide us, O God, for I am not some isolated individual on an island.  The “me” who stares from the mirror is a combination and conglomeration of places, people, events, and experiences.  I create stories, sometimes wildly creative fiction, about who You are, God, who others are and why they are such meanies, and who I am.  Sometimes I am the hero, sometimes I feel like a zero, and sometimes I just want to nap on a pillow.  I confess that I get frustrated when others won’t be who I want them to be, even as I notice that I am not the me I want to be either.  God, I get so confused by You.  Your ways are not my ways.  You are not some puppy I train, but the One whose presence makes all the difference.  I offer this prayer with equal parts exhaustion, exhilaration, and exasperation for the beauty of this ordinary life.  Take today like a lump of Play-Doh that I let You guide me- heart, hands, and head in collaborating with You to create something beautiful for the world through me.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Beauty of the Ordinary Prayer

  Guide me, O my great Redeemer, who holds my loves, longings, and losses.  Guide me, O my great Sustainer, who gives me strength each secon...