Yesterday, I shared a hymn we sang at my ordination 25-years ago. Today, I want to share another hymn, more
recent, that has captured my imagination.
The Summons was written by John Bell as part of the Iona
Community in Scotland. Please join me in
praying these words today:
Will you come and follow me if I but call your name?
Will you go where you don’t know and never be the same?
Will you let my love be shown, will you let my name be known,
Will you let my life be grown in you and you in me?
Will you leave yourself behind if I but call your name?
Will you care for cruel and kind and never be the same?
Will you risk the hostile stare should your life attract or scare?
Will you let me answer prayer in you and you in me?
Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?
Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?
Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,
And admit to what I mean in you and you in me?
Will you love the “you” you hide if I but call your name?
Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?
Will you use the faith you’ve found to reshape the world around
Through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?
Lord, your summons echoes true when I but call your name!
Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.
In your company I’ll go where your love and footsteps show.
Thus I’ll move and live and grow in you and you in me.
I love the invitational nature of this hymn. It starts with a series of questions about
letting Christ guide our lives, lead us to places beyond our
comfort/complacency, and to interact with people who challenge us. This reminds us that faith is not about
coercion or convincing someone else to join our club. Faith continually expands, evolves, and
embraces. Is there one of the invitational
questions above that set your soul soaring?
Which of the questions did your soul say, “Um, that’s a hard pass and an
emphatic, “No” on that one. Thanks, but
no thanks, Jesus.” Which question landed
with a thud in your heart, soul, and life?
I know for me it is the question, “Will you love the “you” you
hide if I but call your name? Will you
quell the fear inside and never be the same?” Something about those two lines stops me
short. Will I let Christ’s love do
something in me, through me, with me, and despite
me? Or is my Iowa stubbornness too thick,
my to-do list too consuming? Do I tell
God to take a break, because I’ve got it from here? Hold this hymn, for I am holding and praying
these words with you today. With God’s
love. Amen.
No comments:
Post a Comment