Wednesday, July 29, 2026

Shape of Faith, Collective of Hope, and the Way of Love

 


But for right now, until that completeness, we have three things to do to lead us toward that consummation: Trust steadily in God, hope unswervingly, love extravagantly. And the best of the three is love.  1 Corinthians 1313 (The Message Translation)

 

Yesterday, you traced the shape, shade, or size of faith in your life.  Maybe faith as a teenager was a circle to hold your life that suddenly shrank to a dot in your college/young adult years.  Maybe faith was a square as a child that became a beautiful cumulus-shaped cloud that keeps changing across the sky of life today.  Remember, this is never one-and-done; you keep working on your life with the One who is co-authoring alongside you.  Today, I invite you to hold the word, hope.  Was there a symbol of hope as a child?  For me, that word makes me think of my Christmas list as a child; I hoped I would get the gifts I listed.  As I grew up, I had hopes that were like dreams for what my life would be.  As Rev. Sarah Bessey says, hope is a team sport.  I see hope as active and activating and animating not only within me, but between me and others.  What role has hope played?  Or ask: how full your hope tank is and why?  I hear many today feel hopeless because the events of the world seem so large and troubling.  And from history, I hear that people have faced hate and hurt as a constant theme and thread.  Is my hope dependent only on external evidence to validate it?  Is my hope built on God’s presence, which can feel more nebulous?  Is my hope sinking sand?  You could go through a hymnal or Google hymns with the word “Hope”, how is that word set poetically in motion in those hymns?  Play with the word “Hope” and trace how that word showed up or disappeared throughout your life.  May this invitation awaken your awareness of the story you are telling yourself about this word and how it works in the world, in your heart, and with God.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Statements of Faith ~ Week 4

  This week we will explore one more Creed.  Wait, you think, how many creeds are out there?!? And you thought your only choices were the Ap...