Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Sentences to ponder

 



Yesterday, I invited you to let the lingering prayer of letting go of our anger, annoyance, and agitation at others because they are not as we wish them to be; because the truth is that you and I are not as we wish we were!  Often, we push our pain onto others.  I can get caught in thinking that if that person was as Enlightened as me, life would be better.  Too often we try to blame and shame them into changing.  Pause here, when was the last time someone blamed or shamed you, did that make a difference?  Did that technique motivate you to change?

 

Even when you demand someone keep pace with where you are, catch up and keep up, there is always someone further along the trail who could say the same of you.  More importantly, life isn’t a race.  Because a race toward what?!?  Death?  Enlightenment?  Some trophies?  Life is an experience and encounter ~ a relationship with less-than-perfect featherless bipeds who God says are to be companions.  Or if you want that more poetic, we cannot convince a rose to bloom faster than it will.  I can’t educate the grass to grow quicker in the dead spots of my lawn.  True, I can water and use earth healthy fertilizer, but I can’t cause the rain to come or shame the grass into flourishing.  I can offer what I can, but there is a lot that is beyond my control.  This leads me to the prayer sentence from Justin McRoberts and Scott Erikson for today:

 

May the reality that I cannot know the whole truth never keep me from bearing witness to what I can and do see.

 

Let these words marinate as you move and motivate you throughout the day.  Alleluia and Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Foolishness

  Throughout the month of April, we have been playing with the invitation of holy foolishness that is at the heart of Easter.   We have jour...