Wednesday, April 17, 2024

Prayer Sentence #3

 



This week, we are letting one sentence prayers from Justin McRoberts and Scott Erikson interrupt and inspire our lives in this art project of life.  It is fascinating that just a few words can stop us in our tracks.  Yesterday, we held onto the truth that while my point of view is a view from a point, that doesn’t mean I keep silent or stand stuck on the sidelines of life.  I can show up and speak up, but I also hold the truth that what I offer you right now, by this evening might seem lame and past its expiration date.  How I think now is not how I thought five years ago.  To be sure, there are some constants that continue to be threads in the quilt of my life, but the stitching from a few years ago can start to fray and fall apart.  I also trust that God who is the original seamstress of Genesis 3:21 (you should really pause and go read how God makes clothing for Adam and Eve.  It is as if God is saying exasperatedly, “Take off those itchy fig leaves and wear this!”  By the way it doesn’t tell us exactly what God crafts or creates.  I wonder what the clothing is we make for ourselves that God prayerfully invites us to take off to put on different ways of being?).  I know that while I seek to speak the truth in love, I also know that tomorrow my words might be dust in the wind or mist in the air ~ not really landing.  I can try with my heart to speak the truth in love and end up hurting someone.  Maybe in addition to speaking the truth in love, I need to listen and learn as well.  I can find ways to live the truth that the words, “listen” and “silent”, have the same letters, both are important.  This leads me to the prayer sentence for today from Justin McRoberts and Scott Erikson.

 

Before I see someone as a problem, may I see him/her/them as a human being.

 

Let these words wonderfully interrupt and inspire your life on this day.  Alleluia and Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Holy Foolishness

  Throughout the month of April, we have been playing with the invitation of holy foolishness that is at the heart of Easter.   We have jour...