Tuesday, August 1, 2023

A Riff on Psalm 9

 


A riff based on Psalm 9.  You are welcome to read this psalm in several translations before engaging my amateur attempt.

God, we know the truth of the mystics, that if the only prayer we utter is, “Thank you,” it is enough.  Thank you for hugs, campfires with s’mores, vacations, air conditioning, and creation that takes all our words away.  How can humans even begin to think we have any of this figured out?  How can we pontificate and put others down and not see that our point of view is a - one single - view from a point?  God, silence us from the madness around us and the chaos within us.  For those who know only hate and fear, God, we need Your wisdom to help.  We know it is only Your way that can help right the wrongs, yet our agendas and opinions and desires keep creeping in and clamoring away.  God, help me sing Your song.  God, shelter me in Your shadow of unconditional love and unceasing grace.  And when I think it is all about me or that there is no use in trying or that it is all just too much because the scoreboard of life shows my foes are winning by too much, remind me that faithfulness cannot be measured, and Your love always wins.  Let me hold fast to Your way, truth, light, justice, presence, peace, grace, and love this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Prayer

  God, there is a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place that hovers and hums and holds us.   God, You continue to conduct the music of our soul ...