Monday, July 24, 2023

Grounded and Guided by God in the Psalms

 


A few weeks ago, in a sermon I suggested reading through the psalms.  It seems like a good idea to practice what I preach.  So, for the next few weeks, we will dare to dive into this idea.  One psalm a day, leaning in and listening to the words, exploring different translations, and even attempting to prayerfully write your own psalm.  Here is the Message translation of Psalm 1

How well God must like you—
    you don’t walk in the ruts of those blind-as-bats,
    you don’t stand with the good-for-nothings,
    you don’t take your seat among the know-it-alls.

2-3 Instead you thrill to God’s Word,
    you chew on Scripture day and night.
You’re a tree replanted in Eden,
    bearing fresh fruit every month,
Never dropping a leaf,
    always in blossom.

4-5 You’re not at all like the wicked,
    who are mere windblown dust—
Without defense in court,
    unfit company for innocent people.

6 God charts the road you take.
The road they take leads to nowhere.

When I read the first verse, “How well God must like you.”  I don’t hear that as a, “Well, aren’t you special” kind of way.  I would say Psalm 1 reminds us that “Beloved” is our first, middle, and last name.  Beloved is both a noun and a verb.  “Beloved” is both a description of who I am in relationship to God AND how I am called to be in the word.  I am both beloved to be love in the world.  When I do that, I don’t get stuck in the ruts of cynicism or constant criticism of the less-than-perfectness of the world, rather I roll up my sleeves and set out to do what I can in collaboration, cooperation, and conspiring with God.  I am careful to not get tripped up or trapped in thinking that I know it all.  Because my point of view is a view from a point.  I do want to nuance the Message’s translation of “stand with good-for-nothings,” because I believe Jesus stood with those the fringe and fray, those looked down upon and called, “never do wells”.  So, I do stand with fellow humans who are hurting and feel harmed by this world.  I do stand with those who are frustrated and fearful.  I do stand with those who feel pushed aside.  I do stand with those who think they know-it-all.  I do seek to share God’s love with those who cross my path ~ not as some strategy or scheme that I have plotted or planned, but because that is the way I live my deepest identity.  Grounded in the Source of Being ~ love; rooted in the soil of the earth from which we are all made; and seeking to share the fruit of the spirit from Galatians 5:22-23 (love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control) for the sake of the world.  This is the road less traveled, but it is the road where I sense the Sacred stirring and renewing and refreshing me always.  Take time today to “chew on Scripture” and may you sense a thrill in these words.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer

  God, You form and fashion us and all creation with a Word.  Open our ears to hear.  Open our hearts to Your warmth.  Open our lives to You...