Monday, January 9, 2023

A Question to Ponder

 


Recently, Richard Rohr in his morning devotional recently asked, “The spiritual question is this: Does one’s life give any evidence of an encounter with God?  Those eleven words stopped me in my tracks.  For a few moments, I stared at my computer screen as the lawyer who lives in my mind tried to rummage through the art project called my life for some proof that God doesn’t just rent space in my heart for an hour on Sunday, but permanently resides there. 

For a few moments the silence was awkward.  Until, like a child who has just been caught with a hand in the cookie jar, I began to sputter a response.

“Well…I write these devotionals,” I thought.

“And I have now completed nine years at First Congregational UCC,” pause for applause, “that means 460ish sermons, countless pastoral visits, and don’t forget all the meetings!”

I was starting to be on a roll.

“And I try to be a loving husband, caring father, and good friend.”

 

Is that enough evidence?  I wondered.

 

But, perhaps the evidence might not be anything internal, but the impact we have on others ~ much of which we may never know.  When people talk to me, do they sense that I am listening ~ or just pausing long enough before I can make my point?  Do people feel like they can be themselves, their full authentic selves, around me?  Do I feel like I am being who God creates/crafts me to be in these January days?  Does God’s love flow forth from me?

 

Can we hold Rohr’s question close to our hearts this week? What does a life that has encountered God sound like?  Look like?  Feel like? 

Hold this question with me…try not to do what I did…and race for a response.  This is not just a question to answer, but one to ask every day ~ throughout the day.

 

May you and I continue find ways to let loose a love, peace, joy, and hope of God that is renewed morning by morning ~ with the rising of the sun.  May you and I continue to collaborate with our Creator who longs to be embodied in you and me.   May you and I find ways to conspire to be lights in a world that longs for Christ’s presence in these days. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Morning Prayer

  God of a new month, where what is unresolved from April can linger and leave an imprint, meet us in ways that we sense Your presence as Ch...