Monday, November 21, 2022

Thanksgiving Week

 



20 Now to him who by the power at work within us is able to accomplish abundantly far more than all we can ask or imagine, 21 to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.  Ephesians 3

 

Acorns. When I think of abundance, having far more than I can ask or imagine or ever want, I think of the acorns that have been piling up in parking lots, sidewalks, lawns, and streets over the last few weeks.  I think all the oak trees must have had a secret meeting where no human was invited or involved. The trees made a motion that was soon seconded and unanimously voted that this was the year of the nut. Science tells us that an oak tree can drop more acorns than hungry squirrels, raccoons or wild hogs would be able to gobble up. By some accounts, one single oak tree can drop upwards of 10,000 acorns in what is called a mast year. Which, one, that is a lot of nuts. Two, who exactly counted, because if they had asked me, I know I would have lost count around 2584 and have to start over again.

 

Hold that image of abundance, more than we could ask or imagine, in one hand.

 

On the other hand, out of these 10,000 acorns sometimes only one sinks down into the soil, stretches out roots, bursts forth from the ground, and grows into a new oak tree. 1 out of 10,000. If you told me that only one of my sermons this year would make a difference to one person, I wonder if I could keep preaching?  If you told me that only one pastoral visit or one morning meditation or one day out of the last year would make a difference, how would I live?

 

If I told you that you that being kind, gentle, generous, loving, peaceful would change just one person in your lifetime, would you continue? I am convicted by Paul’s words this morning about abundance. Of course, Paul isn’t preaching about acorns but about God’s grace, love, peace, promise, and presence which is even larger than10,000 acorns. Paul is talking about an inclusive, unconditional, unceasing gift from God that moves in our lives seeking to make a difference.

 

This Thanksgiving week it is easy for us to count our more than 10,000 blessings.  Honestly, though, most of us believe that life is happening to us ~ that there is some scoreboard of who is winning and losing.  Often our mood is based on the external evidence around us ~ rather than the transformation within us.  If the oak tree lived this way, my guess is 1 out of 10,000 might cause a deep depression for that tree.  Yet, creation testifies to generosity and the question for you and me this week ~ is are we willing to let this truth of creation inform and inspire our living ~ not just now but every day in the coming year? 

 

May that question cause us to ponder prayerfully and commit our lives to being conduits of liberating love in these days.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Tending Home

  As we explore Earth Week, honoring that from dust (earth/soil/mud) we are made and that we have a mixture of soil and star dust in our sou...