Monday, October 31, 2022

Halloween

 


Happy Halloween everyone!! 

 

Today is the second biggest holiday economically speaking.  Americans spend $8 billion dollars – or $92 per person – that is a lot of Reese Peanut Butter Cups and Dove dark chocolate.  But I will try to do my part today.  I remember one of my favorite costumes growing up was a robot.  I took a large cardboard box, colored every inch of that box grey (I went through several crayons and markers), put several bright large buttons of various sizes and shades on the front and sides of that box.  I made a computer screen on the front ~ some of my dear readers will remember those first DOS computers where you had to type in code…ah the good old days. And then, because I went all in, I wrapped my arms in tin foil.  I wonder if part of the reason I remember this costume was because I made it.

 

Do you remember a costume growing up?  Go ahead and post a comment in the chat today.

 

There are a few reasons why I think Halloween is popular.

 

First, candy.  Any holiday that encourages us to enjoy chocolate is a good day. Yes, I realize that Skittles outranks M&M, Snickers, and even my beloved dark chocolate.  But the reason still holds.  And see how much you are learning today?

Second, costumes.  This allows us to think about our alter-egos as a superhero or pirate or movie character.  Last week we talked about Moses’s two identities, and this day honors that it isn’t just who we’ve been but who we want to be that feeds/fuels our lives.  Hold this truth with me for a moment.

Third, even in our Enlightenment, scientific world, we all sometimes feel haunted by un-holy ghosts.  Halloween invites us to be open to this truth.  To switch holidays for a moment, we all know what is like to be visited by ghosts of the past, present, and future this time of year ~ thank you for that metaphor, Charles Dickens. 

Fourth, there is a thin veil this time of year between this life and the next.  In fact, next Sunday we light candles to honor our Saints.  Maybe it is the cool, crisp air or the darkness that descends earlier each day or the fact that the year is wrapping up/winding down ~ but we feel that thinness of this life right now.

Fifth, I save the best for last, we need fun and joy.  As a pastor, too often I take life way too seriously and somberly.  But I believe God hears laughter as prayer.  I believe God’s prayer is for us to be fully alive.  I believe God longs for us to us to pay attention to the blessings, not just the brokenness.

 

Now, is your chance.  Add to my list of why today is a good day.

 

Wait, you think, there is homework?!?  But it’s Halloween!  As you go about your day, be open to wonder.  Be open to the goodness and grace.  Be open to how this day is holy.  And may the God who delights in human joy be felt in your heart this day and this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hymn of the Month

  Yesterday, I asked you to look back on your life, look around, and look ahead at this month of May.   I pray you found ways to let your sh...