Monday, October 17, 2022

Finding Our Way in these Exodus Days

 



Confession: growing up I had a favorite family member.  I know you are supposed to love your family equally and unconditionally.  But I loved my Aunt Marie who taught me that age doesn’t need to define or confine you.  She was constantly moving, feisty, and made the best apple pie.  There was a spark and sparkle to Aunt Marie.

 

Do you have a favorite family member from growing up?  It’s okay to share, we are among friends here.

 

What were the traits of that person who you admired?

 

I think about my Aunt Marie when I hear about Miriam bravely and boldly advocating for her baby brother Moses in Exodus 2:7. Picture the scene with me.  The Pharaoh’s daughter has wade in the water…and God is gonna trouble the water when she spies with her little eye a basket nestled in the reeds nearby.  Pharaoh’s daughter looks inside the basket, and she immediately, instantly knows that this is a Hebrew baby.

 

Cue the close up on the Pharaoh’s daughter’s face.  She has an ethical choice to make.  Is that basket going to be an ark of new life for Moses or his casket?  Will she follow her father’s policy of violence, or will she choose another way?  The fate of Moses rests in her hands.

 

Hold that for one moment ~ is there a decision you are facing this day or this week that weighs on your heart or keeps you up at night?  Where do you find yourself trying to sort through the right way to go or the next right step?  Can you listen to your soul, let God’s grace/love get a word in edgewise before you make up your mind?

 

Miriam…like Shiphrah and Puah in Exodus 1:15-22… is courageous and creativity.  She knows that the Pharaoh’s daughter knows her brother is a Hebrew ~ maybe even overheard her say that.  So, she interrupts and intercedes on behalf of her brother.  She helps, even forces, the decision.  “Let me get a Hebrew nurse for you.” Then, she goes and gets her mom ~ Moses’ mom, to nurse her own son, which she would have done for free…only now Moses’ mom gets paid to do this.

 

So wonderfully subversive and faithful.

 

Today, hold the people in your life who have left a lingering impression.  Give thanks for the Miriams in our midst today who help move toward life and God’s liberating love.  And think back on the people who have made you who you are. 

 

If you would like a wonderful exercise on this, click the video above and watch the Artful Prayer session from last Thursday.

 

God grant me Your courage to change what I can.  Grant me Your acceptance for that which I cannot control.  Grant me Your wisdom and love to know the difference.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Morning Prayer

  God of a new month, where what is unresolved from April can linger and leave an imprint, meet us in ways that we sense Your presence as Ch...