Friday, April 15, 2022

God's Friday

 


“Were you there?” the Spiritual asks on this day.

Was I there when Jesus died?  Not literally.

Was I there when his friends all left skid marks in the sand running away?

Was I there when the powers of the day flexed their muscles to keep everyone in line?

Was I there when people criticized and mock, “He saved others, let him safe himself?”

Was I there when only a few friends kept vigil at the cross?

Was I there when he breathed his last?

Was I there when the tears wouldn’t stop?

Was I there when life no longer seemed the same and the hole in their hearts might never heal?

Not literally.

But I was there when people pull down others to make themselves look better.

I was there when friends no longer call or stop by.

I was there as leaders today still let cash and privilege guide their decisions.

I was there when social media trolls anonymously comment, and we seem caught up in counting how many “likes” we can amass.

I was there when people I love lay in a hospice bed.

I was there when grief hangs heavy in the air.

I was there in a world that keeps on spinning dizzily and disjointedly and disorient-ly around.

I was there and I will be there today before the cross to sing. 

To pray. 

To be honest about my own pain that I pass along, my silence to injustice, my own wondering about financial stability and questioning how others judge my ability and whether I truly live faithfully.

I bring all that am I to cross, because only a suffering God, a vulnerable God, a loving God can meet me in the vulnerability and suffering and struggle this moment. 

As we sing prayerfully, “Were you there?” may you and I draw near with open hearts to respond, “Here I am God.”  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Morning Prayer

  God of a new month, where what is unresolved from April can linger and leave an imprint, meet us in ways that we sense Your presence as Ch...