Monday, February 7, 2022

Wrapped in Love

 


This month, as we prepare to celebrate Valentine’s Day, we are continuing to explore the promise and possibility of love.  This week, I want us to hold close to our hearts the words of the hymn, O Love That Will Not Let Me Go.  Here is the first verse:

 

O Love, that will not let me go,

I rest my weary soul in You;

I give You back the life I owe, that

in Your ocean deaths its flow may swell with ardor true.

 

George Matheson wrote this hymn on June 6, 1882, in five minutes.  Five minutes!  Matheson describes the experience of writing this way, “Something happened to me, which was known only to myself, and which caused me the most severe mental suffering. The hymn was the fruit of that suffering. It was the quickest bit of work I ever did in my life. I had the impression rather of having it dictated to me by some inward voice than of working it out myself.”

 

I find even more meaning in these words knowing that they were born not out of Matheson’s best day ever…but out of trying to process his own pain.  Often, we tend to categorize and classify life as either good or bad.  When things are bad, we can begin to catastrophize, where suddenly what we are experiencing is, “The! WORST!! THING!!! EVER!!!”  To be sure, when I receive bad news about a friend’s health, or someone says something that hurts; and when I hurt I tend to turn inside.  The pain becomes insulation and even isolates me from others.  We can ruminate or let your minds roam endless on the pain.  Matheson wrote his way out of that hurt.

 

Notice Matheson’s affirmation of God’s eternal affection.  Love that does not let us go ~ no matter what.  Or as the Apostle Paul says in Romans 8, “Nothing separates us from the love of God.”  Yet, sometimes the evidence of our experience would suggest otherwise.  We do feel distant or at least disconnected from the Divine’s affection.  We wonder why didn’t God stop this hurt that is throbbing in my heart?  Rather than trying to solve the pain alone, Matheson says to rest our weary soul in God.  Or as another hymn lyric says, “Have we trials and temptations?  Is there trouble anywhere?  We should never be discouraged Take it to the Lord in prayer.”  How might you today notice, name, claim, and pray your way through the stress, suffering, and struggle?  How can you both offer this to God AND let God hold the hurt alongside?  Hold the hurt ~ not resolve or remove completely.  Human life has pain and joy; has moments of despair and delight.  The fullness of life is trusting how God holds all we are in a loving embrace.

 

Prayer: O God, do not let me go today.  I offer to You people I have hurt and need forgiveness.  I offer to You people who frustrate and flabbergast me and need Your wisdom.  I offer to You news I have heard that troubles my soul.  May I rest now in You leaning into Your everlasting arms and feeling Your embrace every minute today.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

A Blessings for May

  Happy May Day everyone!!  As we enter a new month, it can be a bit like a blank canvas. I wonder what prayers are stirring and swirling wi...