Wednesday, October 27, 2021

God's Calling Isaiah ~ part three

 


This week we are holding open our hearts around our expectations as well as those moments when we feel like we are not measuring up.  I think this is especially hard in a climate that loves to blame and shame others.  We live in canyons of certainty that create echo chambers where social media feeds you more and more of what you “liked”.  Deep down we all have that Isaiah-like voice that is saying, “Well, this is another fine mess you’ve gotten yourself into!”

 

We live on shifting sand…internally and externally.

 

So did Isaiah.  A bit about the cultural climate of 500 B.C.E. when Isaiah’s calling took place.  The passage started off with the political power play book when it says, “In the year King Uzziah died.”  I know, what an uplifting start to a passage, but stay with me.  Uzziah was known as a good king.  This was a time of stability, for fifty years Uzziah had kept the enemies who wanted to invade Israel at the edge.  Now, the apple cart was overturned.  Now, everything seemed too fluid and influx and like you were standing on shifting sand.  People longed for stability, certainty, and reassurance that things would be okay. 

 

Suddenly, I don’t know if I am describing Isaiah’s day or today.  I am with them.  I understand why Isaiah went to the temple to pray.  I am like Isaiah wanting to sort out the storminess of my soul.  Then, when the holy hummed the hymn of praise and hovered around, Isaiah expresses this was not his expectation.  He tries to reason his way out.  Isaiah essentially says, “God that is so nice of you to think that I could do this.  But I am going take a pass right now, because if you haven’t noticed the world is a mess.  But let’s stay in touch.”  Isaiah felt overwhelmed by God’s call. 

 

You see, calling doesn’t always lead you beside still waters or restore your soul.  Sometimes your calling will feel like a blessing.  Other times, like say the last twenty months of ministry in the church, you will feel the full force of headwinds pushing against you and little to no tailwind giving you strength to steer.

 

I am with Isaiah.  I often feel overwhelmed by too many tragedies and traumas and hanging on by a thin thread that threatens to snap any second in our world right now.  Oh, I am with you, Isaiah. 

 

I love that the holy here isn’t pleasant and peaceful in this passage.  There is a haunting nature to the holy that goes and gets a hot coal.  The coal is burning and blazing, the angel needs a pair of tongs to touch Isaiah’s lips.  Ouch!  You might have missed that point.  The angel, God’s heavenly messenger can’t touch the coal, but it is okay to put that on Isaiah’s lips.  Are you kidding me?  And God seems to say, “Okay, Isaiah solved those unclean lips problem seems to be solved.”  I am going out on a limb to say, that probably was not Isaiah’s expectation when he confessed his concern.

 

So far this week I have invited you to:

1.     Name your expectations for

a.      Yourself

b.     Others in your close circle

c.      Church

d.     Country

2.     We have noticed that sometimes in our calling we feel like we are coming up short, don’t quite have all the skills necessary and needed.

3.     Now, today we add the layer that when we are unclear/uncertain in our calling ~ and the world around us is also like shifting sand…that is advanced level calling.  That is graduate level kind of calling. 

 

So breathe.  I promise you that just as God finds Isaiah in the murky, messiness of his life, so too God still does that today with you and me.  I invite you to go outside and listen to the wind rustling the trees and the wisdom of the world around you.  May you know that God’s presence and calling in your life is offering you the grace for this moment, this day, and that this is enough.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation

  Creator God, You are a Genius at play.   You continually sink deep Your fingers into our lives and world; You continue to sing to our soul...