Friday, October 15, 2021

Giving Your Calling the BEST Energy

 


Here we are, halfway through the month of October.  We are also starting to wind down the Calling Sermon Series…just two more Sundays left.  To be sure, that doesn’t mean that by the end of October you will have your calling completely figured out and your five-year plan firm, ready to carry out.

 

Chances are you will have guesses and glimpses of where God’s holy prompting is nudging you right now.  I want to offer one more framework for thinking about calling.  This one is to look at your day.  We often say that how you live your hours/minutes of life is how you live your life.  Moreover, your day has an ebb and flow.  We all have moments when we are more awake and alert and alive.  I tend to be a morning person.  I love the hours of 7 am to 11 am.  That is when I tend to do most of my writing and feel my most creative.

 

By 11 am, I am starting to get a bit hungry, ready for a break.  After lunch, I do get a small burst of energy.  By 2 pm, I am slowly down.  By 4 or 4:30 pm, I am approaching Zombie status.  Sometimes, rather than engaging our calling when we are at our most creative and awake, we tend to put it off.  I think this comes from our childhood when I had to eat my Lima Beans before I could leave the table.  I think, “Well, I can’t work on the sermon until I do that task I don’t really like.”  This is not the best way to calendar or live your life.  Rather, why not do what you love when your mental, physical, emotional, and spiritual health is at its peak?  Why not volunteer when you have the most energy and do the dishes later.  Why not go connect with a friend, then you can answer emails.  Think about your day and how you can make sure what is most life giving happens when you are most able to give that moment your best energy.

 

That is how you let your light shine brightest.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...