Friday, August 20, 2021

Remembering Today

 


A poem/prayer on remembering...

We tend to think of the word, "remember" as some intellectual exercise.

But my nose remembers grandma's kitchen every time I pass a bakery.

My ears remembers goodness every time I hear laughter.

My eyes remember beauty every time I stand in creation with the soil enlivening/enlarging my soul.

My skin remembers love with every hug.

My toes remember summer every time sand clings and coats them while walking on the beach.

My tongue remembers peace with each sweet, soothing spoonful of ice cream on a warm day.

You may tell me that memories live in a metal, mental file cabinet in your mind, but I know there is something deeper and something more.  And I believe that even when my memories fade, God remembers.  Remember as meaning brought together and brought to live anew.  Remember being God's activity of rejoining that which was forgotten or left behind ~ God still brings and blends together with love that which we cannot contain or control.  

Memories, like the wind, can stir and swirl in countless ways in our lives.  Memories linger and live not only within us but in a universe cultivated and created by the Divine.

So, hold today lightly, for tomorrow this moment too will be a memory.  And may grace and love saturate/soak every second of your life today.  Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Morning Meditation

  Creator God, You are a Genius at play.   You continually sink deep Your fingers into our lives and world; You continue to sing to our soul...