Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Soul-scape - Pathways


Over the last several weeks, we have sought to find ways to be open to creation as a vital and vibrant part of our story and lives.  We have drawn near to elements of earth, water, wind, creatures, and photos that invite us to step into the sacred in the ordinary.

I offer this picture as a reminder that the pathways that shape our souls are sometimes long while others are short, these twin truths happen simultaneously in our lives.  For example, I think about raising my children now in their teens as a long road (with a lot of twists and turns, ups and downs - and that was just Monday!)  Serving a church is a long path filled with companions in faith.  Faithfully facing our aging happens with every birthday candle added to the cake each year.  Then, there are moments that shape our souls which last only a few moments.  I think of trips taken that still linger and have left a lasting impression.  I think of people who I have met and our paths have crossed, intersected just once, but the person still shared/shined her light with me.  Our life is a mixture of long roads we are still trudging and short paths where the past impacts the present. 

Where do you find yourself in the midst of a long journey - physically, spiritually, or emotionally?
Where was one moment this week that has shaped your soul in a short period of time or even a few seconds?

The bridge above is short, just a few steps.  Yet, when I walked across it to stare out at the bay, my soul felt refreshed and renewed and reminded that I am connected to God's creation.  The bridge allowed me to step toward and even feel like I was standing in the midst of the water hearing the waves gently lap against the boards. 

I invite you to step outside.  Close your eyes.  What do you hear?  What do you smell?  What kinds of sensations brush up against your skin?  How might this one single moment shape your soul-scape?  Then gently walk, wander around, soaking in the ways that every moment can open us to bridges connection us to traces of God's grace.

Blessings ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...