Saturday, August 19, 2017

Sabbath Prayer Part 6




Days pass and the years vanish and we walk sightless among miracles.  Fill our eyes with seeing and our minds with knowing.  Let there be moments when your Presence, like lightning illumines the darkness in which we walk.  Help us see, wherever we gaze that the bush burns, unconsumed.  And we, clay touched by God will reach out for holiness and exclaim in wonder, How filled with awe is this place. Prayer from Jewish Sabbath Prayer Book 

How filled with awe is the place.

Look around where you are reading this right now.  What do you see?  

I'm at my kitchen table where we eat dinner.  Where laughter is soaked into the table as well as that great family conversation about homework as well as moments of silence.

I see my kitchen where meals are made...sometimes slow and other times heated quickly in the microwave.

I see my wife working at her computer...a reality of our modern world.

I see my children busy getting ready for school.

I see my dog whose unconditional love and desire to be petted is a constant.

I see the roof over my head to protect me from rain.

I realize what Jacob meant in Genesis when he said..."Surely God is in this place and I did not know it." 

Home can become a thin place...a sacred, safe space.

Yet, too often that isn't true for everyone.  There are too many homes that hurt.  Leave deep wounds on the lives of children from parent's pain that isn't process.  Too many homes that hurt.  Leave deep wounds of emotional scars from words spoken hastily.  Too many homes that hurt because of addiction and illness and suffering and economic injustice.

And this is one tiny corner of our massive universe.

To see, really see, with God's eye glasses everywhere I turn this week. 

I don't know if you can really live that way.
I don't know if I can really do that, especially when I get frustrated or feel overwhelmed.

But this prayer reminds me to try.
But this prayer reminds me that I am not alone.
God is here like a bolt of lightning illuminating the night of my life.
In doing so, I glimpse a trace of grace that is beautiful here and now.

I pray it will be so, then and there every day.

Blessing...grace...peace everyone ~~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...