Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Information

 


One of the ideas I have been working with recently is that in life, when we encounter an idea (written or spoken) for the first time, there is a continuum of information to inspiration.  For example, is a sermon trying to give you information or inspiration?  You are welcome to answer, “Yes” to that question ~ because my prayer is that there is both in sermons I offer.  Or maybe you find yourself leaning more toward wanting a sermon to give you just the facts about the setting and structure of the scripture passage.  Or maybe you prefer your soul to be awakened by what is said by the preacher.  The same can be true of reading the Bible, are the words we read on those razor thin pages with tiny print for information or inspiration?  The same can be true of a book or a lecture or a conversation. 

There are certain times in my life when I am looking for information.  A few Sundays ago, I preached about the joy of building IKEA furniture.  When I open the directions with the Ziggi-cartoon-like character staring back at me, I am not looking to be inspired beyond getting the dresser built.  Or when I want to know how many pieces of furniture are sold each year, I am not asking a philosophical question, what really is furniture?  I am simply curious about how many couches were sold in 2022.  Or when I want to know how hot it is going to be or what is happening in the tropics or the score of the latest game, I am searching for information.  There are times I go searching for data, not someone waxing poetically about mighty Casey at bat.  

At some point in our life, our own education becomes self-directed rather than prescribed by others.  What helps us keep growing is to ask the question, where am I curious?

Do I want to know more about medieval moats and what animals thrived in swimming circles around the castle?

Do I want to know more about Ukraine?

Do I want to know more about painting or sculpture?

I am not asking the questions above rhetorically, I pray you would ponder, where are you curious as we begin September?  Where could you use some more information, because the truth is that we never really exhaust all there is to know on any topic.  Just like you will never finish the internet, there is always some new insight or idea to build on the knowledge that exists.

One final question, where are you curious in your faith?  Do you want to know more about prayer, the Bible, worship, service, justice, caring for creation, embracing people who are different?  Please come talk to me.  I am fascinated to hear what is fascinating you.  May each of us continue, as school is now in full swing, to the life-long pursuit of encountering and engaging and exploring this world with all its beauty that can never be fully known.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Prayer

  God, there is a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place that hovers and hums and holds us.   God, You continue to conduct the music of our soul ...