Tuesday, November 17, 2020

Baptism take two

 


As you read the meditations this week, I invite you to have a bowl of water in front of you.  You may want to begin by pouring out the water, hearing it splash at the bottom of the bowl and even splatter onto the table.  Now, I invite you to wet your thumb and trace the outline of the cross on your forehead.  Remember you are created in God’s image.  Pay attention your thoughts.  What words would you use to describe this moment?  Words like, “peacefulness,” “love,” or “soaked/saturated in the Spirit”.

When I think of baptism, in the back of my mind there is a melody that starts softly, tenderly.  Soon the words wash over me like I just dove into a pool of water:

As I went down in the river to pray
Studying about that good ol’ way
And who shall wear the starry crown
Good Lord, show me the way.
O sisters, let’s go down
Let’s go down, come on down
O sisters, let’s go down
Down in the river to pray

It is that final line of the first stanza, “Good Lord, show me the way,” that catches me.  I can sing that sweetly and hopefully where all the syllables come out evenly.  Or I can sing those words exasperated, exhausted where I emphasize the “Good Lord,” part and the words, “show me the way,” come out like a prayerful plea for such a time as this.  

What hymn starts humming in your heart today?  

Shall we gather at the river? Classic!

Wade in the water? Absolutely – that is a beautiful spiritual connecting us to the truths of God’s creative and liberating love.

I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry? Oh, that one always makes me tear up and think about my kids’ baptisms.

What other hymns – the hymn doesn’t have to explicitly mention baptism, just one that is flowing in your heart and singing to your soul.  Go ahead, post a hymn that is in your heart today in the comment section.  I can’t wait to see the hymnal we all participate in making together today. 

Prayer: Still singing God, wash over us with a grace and love we need and know as You today.  Amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer sentence 4

  I invite you to breathe in and slowly exhale.   I invite you to rest in the promise that you don’t have to earn or deserve your way to God...