Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Word Wednesday

 



On Monday we focused on the opening chorus of Dream God's Dream...

Today I want you to read slowly and savor the final stanza:

I'm dreaming of the way that I want my life to go
I've got hopes and I've got goals I'd like to meet
I'm reaching for the stars, but I won't forget the scars
Of Christ who died to show that the Dream's for all...


The sense that I am reaching for the stars but I won't forget the scars.  That line can feed and fuel my soul.  It is like saying, I am sharing God's love, but I won't forget the vulnerability that can happen.  It is like saying, I will shine my light, but I won't forget that others might say or do things to cause hurt and harm.  The path isn't easy.  The path isn't paved with chocolate rivers.  The path is rocky and sometimes so rough that we stumble.  The path can be beautiful at the same time.

Recently, when our family took a vacation to a cabin up North, it was beautifully imperfect.  That is to say, there were moments of laughter, mixed with times of frustration when something didn't quite work out.  We drove through pouring rain and sunshine, traffic jams and smooth sailing roads.  When we first pulled into a cabin, there was a deer that crossed our path...and when we left the last morning there was a deer that crossed the path.  The holy hums and hovers around us all the time.  But amid the other clutter and chaos we miss this.  Plus, I am not sure we have been taught or told how to observe and be open to the holy around us.  We have not been invited continually to hold the both and of beautiful imperfection.

Stars and scars are both part of life.
The beauty and broken.
The "Oh my word," sensation that gives you goosebumps of joy ~ and the "Oh my word" shiver down your spine that you can't take any more.

The holy...traces of God's grace can be in both.

Where is God's dream awakening you to hope these days?
Where is the frustration, wounds or wants causing you to despair?

Can you pray both right now...then listen to, "Dream God's Dream" again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...