Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Easter Reflection take Two


So I am walking around my neighborhood...as you do when the confines of the walls of our house start to close in around you.  When I came across this bird hanging out on my neighbor's car.

I love this photo.

I love it because it is like the bird is saying, "I think I am going to hang out here for awhile."

Or, "Hey, the color of this car really compliments my feathers."

Or, "Hey, Wes, how ya doing?"

Okay, it is a bit odd when the bird start to talk to you, that might be the cabin fever talking.

I love this photo because it is beautifully ordinary.

Birds stop on cars all the time, everyday.  You probably saw this on your walk today.

But did you really see it?

That is part of the Easter mystery.  We don't always see the beautiful ordinary, the sacred in the every day, that everything is spiritual.  Easter was meant to life the veil between the holy and everyday.  That is why Jesus took common bread and cup to symbolize God's grace.  That is why a butterfly tells us something so profound about transformation.  That is why a bird shows us the truth of being, not doing.

Let's face it, there is a lot that isn't in my control.  I can wash my hands every second and still get sick.  I can shut up in my house, never go outside, and still not escape hurt and harm.  There is risk in living.  And it is through being.  It is through stopping our perpetual motion that we can begin to go through some of the doorways of our souls that only we can walk through. 

So, today notice one thing that brings a smile to your face.
Notice one joy that opens your heart.
Notice one moment a surge of new life goes through your soul.

And may that be more than just a trace of God's grace for you.

Grace and love to you now more than ever.

1 comment:

  1. I'm amazed that right now when I'm talking with people of "supposed faith", of how little faith they really do have. During this time of "shutdown", the one thing that has been growing and expanding and evolving has been my faith. Sometimes I feel as if I am living in a totally different dimension than the rest of the world. I am refusing to be afraid and leaving it all up to the Divine to take care of as I am not in control. I still insist on living a life of joy. I'm getting a lot of flak for that. So if I don't trust in the Divine, who do I trust?

    ReplyDelete

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...