Monday, October 31, 2016

Halloween prayer


The flame flickers and fades with the rush of the wind.
Causing the candle to dance with each gust.

The shadows swirl,
The eyes brighten and dim.
The face changes second to second as the light within changes.

I wonder about the light within me.
Does my face glow in the brilliance of the night?
Do my eyes light in response to moments of fear or fright?
Or is my light more quickly to extinguish
The second the breeze turns too brisk?
Am I more likely to shine or hide?
 
While I know this is just a child's creation,
Somehow, in someway, there is something else we all see on Halloween.
We see our children dream of being a pirate or baseball player or princess.
We see our own attempts to dress our lives to reflect our dreams.
We see our own moments trying to keep darkness at bay.

I wonder about the light within me.
Does is sparkle or shine?
Is it mute or kept as only mine?
Or does it burn brightest against the night tide.
Thank is my prayer for Halloween.

That the words of Scripture, "Be not afraid," would sound true not only in the face of ghosts looking for candy...but in the face of ghosts that visit me from the past.  Mistakes and missteps that still come calling.  Ghosts of present when I struggle with what to say.  Ghosts of future as my children knock on the door of teenager-hood.  Be not afraid.  Let your light shine.  It might sound a bit too trite.  But it is my prayer this Halloween night.

May the glory of God shine brightly in you.

Happy Halloween everyone.

Blessings ~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...