Friday, February 5, 2016

Bread



 And he said to them, “How many loaves have you? Go and see.” When they had found out, they said, “Five, and two fish.” 39 Then he ordered them to get all the people to sit down in groups on the green grass. 40 So they sat down in groups of hundreds and of fifties. 41 Taking the five loaves and the two fish, he looked up to heaven, and blessed and broke the loaves, and gave them to his disciples to set before the people; and he divided the two fish among them all. 42 And all ate and were filled; 43 and they took up twelve baskets full of broken pieces and of the fish. 44 Those who had eaten the loaves numbered five thousand men.  Mark 6:38-44

This Sunday our church will celebrate communion.  We enter into the mystery of communion once a month...usually on the first Sunday.  While Catholics and Episcopal's celebrate Eucharist every week, other Protestants like my beloved United Church of Christ celebrate less frequently.  On one level this is because when Protestants broke with the Catholic church there was an eschewing of many traditions and practices.  Some of this was swinging to the other extreme.  I have heard some Protestants say that they want to celebrate communion less frequently to keep it more "special".  But the most special people to me...I want to see as MUCH as I possibly can.  I know folks who refuse to use their good China only on "special" occasions, because they say everyday is special.

Jesus breaks bread for five thousand plus people.  It is a foreshadowing of the Last Supper.  It is an echo of God feeding the people in the wilderness with manna for forty years.  Bread is vital to life.  Bread is a reminder of life.  Bread is ordinary and extraordinary at the same time.  

My invitation this week is simple.

1.  Get out the good china.
2.  Get some good bread...bake it or buy it.
3.  Gather some friends...
4.  Let the traces of God's grace flow through and around you.

As I type this, I have a loaf of banana bread my daughter helped me make in the oven.  I love banana bread...so this evening we will know and taste the goodness of God's grace.  Or my other favorite bread recipe can be found at the Luther Seminary website...click here to see and make and bring me a piece!  

I pray no matter if the bread is Wonder or banana or some other special recipe, we will feast, taste and see that God is good.

Happy communion and blessings ~ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Prayer Sentences #5

  Sometimes it is good to rewind and review where we have been in the last week.   This is not an evaluation ~ there are no grades ~ just a ...