Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Communion - Part Two


At communion, we taste God's grace not only through the broken bread, but also through the cup of forgiveness poured out.  If Jesus had only offered his friends...who would desert him, deny him, and betray him...the broken bread, it would make sense.  After all, these people are suppose to be his friends, but perhaps feel more like modern day frienemies!

But Jesus doesn't only talk about brokenness as the darkness and shadows of the night fell upon the Last Supper table.  Jesus also offered hope.  In some ways giving these disciples a cup of forgiveness is wonderfully mysterious.  Jesus offers forgiveness and hope hours before most of the disciples (perhaps save Judas) really knew they would thirst for that hope and forgiveness.

So it is with us.  How often do we really think we need hope and forgiveness?  We'd rather get caught up in believing we've got everything under control and taken care of.  Thanks anyway, Jesus, but I really think this new ipad will quench my thirst.  Thanks anyway, Jesus, but I want to stay mad at my co-worker; family member; that person who caught me off in traffic and if I drink the same cup the disciples drank from then I might just have to forgive them.

The cup is counter-cultural.  The cup challenges our ways with God's ways.  The cup is, for me, what make communion a sacrament.  To affirm God is in our brokenness would be enough to make it a sacred moment.  But the fact that a cup is poured out with what we need most, even before we know we need it, is where God's grace intersects our lives.

The cup is also what makes us a community.  I often prefer that we take the bread when the Spirit moves us as individuals, recognizing our own brokenness.  But I love drinking the cup together, remembering that we are the body of Christ together.  We need each other.  I can't solve my brokenness on my own.  My bias and clouded way of seeing means that I can't get myself out of the problem on my own.  But others can help me see clearer.  Others can help me notice the errors in my thinking and inconsistencies in my actions.  Others can also create brokenness...let's be honest here.  Life in a church, community of faith, is not all chocolate rivers.  But, community is part of communion and that makes it a sacrament.

I pray you will taste not only the broken bread on Maundy Thursday this week, but also the cup that is poured out for all.  It is an overflowing cup with the promise of Easter.  It is in tasting the fruit of the vine that gives me the strength to face the cross.  If there was only broken bread, Holy Week would be way too somber.  But the cup offers us a glimpse of Easter.  The cup affirms God's presence.  The cup is a trace of God's grace.  I pray you taste that when you gather around the table tomorrow.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bread Crumb Prayer

  Bread and wine and water, O God, You always seem to find the holiness in the ordinary.   Not us, O God, we like the special and spectacula...