Thursday, October 10, 2024

Gospeling Your Life ~ Nicodemus

 


Read John 3-4 ~ I confess, I love Nicodemus.  I think he has gotten a bad reputation from the church. Oh, we love to criticize him coming in the middle of the night.  What, Nicodemus, afraid of what your peers will think of you?  We love to laugh at his expense.  What, Nicodemus, can’t wrap your mind around Jesus’ being ‘born again’ puzzling comments?  And then, Nicodemus, fades into the background, steps back into the cover of a starlit night, not to appear again…until chapter 7 when he defends Jesus.  And also, at the end, chapter 19, when he is there at the last breath of Jesus’ life. 

 

You see, I love Nicodemus, because I am Nicodemus.  I sometimes hide from my faith.  I don’t go around blurting and blasting to everyone that I am a pastor.  I sometimes duck and cover, especially when the people around me start criticizing religion.  I justify this by saying/singing, “They will know we are Christians by our love.”  Which, yes actions speak louder than words, but sometimes words, sharing our faith, is helpful too.  Second, I am often baffled and bewildered by Jesus.  I don’t get him.  I’d rather shake my head with a smirk at Nicodemus than confess that I don’t have Jesus figured out.  I have some thoughts on being born anew/afresh, which is what Jesus is saying to him, but I also don’t get what Jesus is saying entirely.  And I can fade into the background, be a wall flower, slip off the sidelines of life silently, hoping that no one notices. 

 

And, I want to be like Nicodemus, showing up in places and spaces to share God’s love in real ways on behalf of those who are being hurt (see chapter 7).  Yes, I want to be like Nicodemus showing up in pain of death, when resurrection isn’t on anyone’s radar as the next logical step.  Thank you, Nicodemus, you don’t get the credit you deserve for showing us how to live our lives.  Thank you, Nicodemus for helping us realize that faith is complicated and contradictory and isn’t neat and tidy.  Thank you, Nicodemus for showing me a way to live this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ Weeping

  Read John 11-12 – Chapter 11 is a profound and powerful story of Jesus raising Lazarus from the dead.   I invite you today to enter this s...