Thursday, October 3, 2024

Gospeling Your Life in the midst of Inconvenience

 


Read Luke 16-17 ~ There are two powerful, provoking, parables in chapter 16.  The first is about an economic bargaining story that reeks of privilege and the second is about a rich man (who ironically isn’t named) and a poor man (who is ~ Lazarus).  If you turn to chapter 17, you can add one more parable about gratitude, giving thanks by the one leper (who of course is a Samaritan, because in Luke it is always the outsider who shows us the faithful way) who comes back to thank Jesus for healing.  I sense a thread and theme in these two chapters tying them together.  How do we see the world?  Is it a dog-eat-dog world?  Is it all about me, taking care of number one?  The manager in verses 1-9 seems to be out to save his own neck, the rich man in verse 19-31 care only about the unholy trinity of me, myself, and I ~ even as he knows (don’t miss that he knows!!) Lazarus’ name (see verse 24).  I am challenged that only 1 out of 10 people can be troubled to say, “Thank you” to Jesus, which those numbers might still hold today.  Our attitude toward life shapes us.  On Tuesday, we talked about Niebuhr’s framework of Christ and Culture, what conclusions you come to as you read through these parables and hold them do reveal something about you.  Too often, we give thanks to God on Sundays, only to say to God, “I’ll take it from here,” as we walk out the narthex/lobby doors.  Too often, we hide our calendars and checkbooks (which are moral documents that tell us what gospels we are following), because we don’t want to deal with our own contradictions.  Too often, I am more like the shrewd manager and rich man ignoring the beloved in need at my own gate.  These parables push and prod at me in ways that I don’t always appreciate.  Yet, to Gospel my life, is to let truths that are inconvenient get into my soul to rummage around and rearrange my life.  I pray you will lean in and listen to these words today and they might cause you to ponder prayerfully how you might be in the world today.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ As as the persistent and persuasive

  Read Luke 18-19 ~ So I love the persistent and persuasive woman who keeps begging the judge for justice.  I see her showing up in the cour...