Monday, September 9, 2024

Gospeling Your Life According to Mark

 

Mark’s ending is a bit unsatisfying.  In chapter 16, your Bible might note that there is a shorter ending, perhaps the original ending, to Mark where the women encountering a “young man” in Jesus’ tomb (16:5), who tells them that Jesus is not there, the women run away afraid.  To be clear, I would be right with the women running away, maybe out in front of them!  Of course, at some point, one of the women found her voice and shared this story.  But one question for each of us is do we share the Good News of new life from the tombs we enter with others today?  How would you share that?  When?  Where?   Do you find ways to let your faith have the first, middle, and last word in how you are living?  For me, sometimes yes and sometimes no.  Sometimes I can be brave and bold, trusting in God.  Other times I stick my head in the sand, on the sidelines of life whilst singing, “La, la, la.  I can’t hear you”.  I can run away with the best of them, especially when I realize that the Good News isn’t just interested in a quick affirmation or a check list of belief, the Good News deeply desires to reorder my whole life.  The Good News can seem foolish and naïve.  Love your enemies?  Who does that today?  Take up your cross?  Um, that doesn’t sound like the good life to me.  Forgive people?  Seriously, after what they did to me?!?  The Good News isn’t just a story, it is a narrative for life.  Rewind and review Mark’s gospel.  What was your favorite part?  Please let me know.  What passage frustrated or flummoxed you?  Where were you inspired?  What new insight did you glean in your reading?  Where do you long to know more?  Hold these questions, letting them roam and rummage around your heart, head, and whole life.  May God, who continues to surprise us like God did on the first Easter with the women at the tomb, show up disguised as your life this day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ Storms internal and external

  Steve Cuss recently gave a wonderful insight into Matthew 14:22-33.   He noted that often as preachers we encourage you to be like Peter. ...