Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Hymnal of the Hidden

 


Yesterday, we dove into the words of the hymn, The Summons.  Today, I want to pick up verses three through five of this hymn.  I encourage you to take a deep breath and slowly exhale.  Do that again, making sure that your exhale is longer than your inhale.  One more time, so that your breath feels like it is tickling the tips of your toes!  Now read these words aloud with me:

 

Will you let the blinded see if I but call your name?

Will you set the prisoners free and never be the same?

Will you kiss the leper clean and do such as this unseen,

And admit to what I mean in you and you in me?

 

Will you love the “you” you hide if I but call your name?

Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?

Will you use the faith you’ve found to reshape the world around

Through my sight and touch and sound in you and you in me?

 

Lord, your summons echoes true when I but call your name!

Let me turn and follow you and never be the same.

In your company I’ll go where your love and footsteps show.

Thus I’ll move and live and grow in you and you in me.

 

I find the words, “Will you love the “you” you hide if I but call your name?  Will you quell the fear inside and never be the same?”  I could sing that every Sunday and never tire, because most weeks I do hide part of myself from others, from God, and from my own awareness.  There are things I shove into the cobwebbed corners of my soul.  I cover over a mistake, praying no one notices.  I stand on the sidelines, afraid to speak up, least the bullies/cynics/critics make me a target.  I think this is why Jesus said the greatest commandment was three!  Love God.  Love neighbor.  Love self.  That will take our whole life, then some, to explore ~ you will never exhaust (complete) loving God, others, self ~ such an invitation is always new each day.  What part of your life are you hiding?  What objections or obligations is fear insisting you attend to first?  What is faith courageously calling you to do, even if you think you will fall flat, splat, on your face?  May those questions and this hymn continue to stir within you these days.  Alleluia and Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Gospeling Your Life ~ As as the persistent and persuasive

  Read Luke 18-19 ~ So I love the persistent and persuasive woman who keeps begging the judge for justice.  I see her showing up in the cour...