Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Wisdom of Dr. King Part 3

 


One of Dr. King’s most profound and powerful letters was from Birmingham Jail ~ especially considering he wrote it in a prison cell ~ echoing the Apostle Paul who wrote many letters to the churches from jail.  The whole letter is worth considering.  But I want to spotlight one particular sentence:

 

“In any nonviolent campaign there are four basic steps: collection of the facts to determine whether injustices exist; negotiation; self-purification; and direct action.”

There is so much in this one sentence, more than any one morning meditation can full or faithfully explore.  It is important to name and notice that the collection of facts takes time.  Moreover, we live in a world where there are so many voices offering “facts” that some say we live in a post-truth world.  That is my truth is my truth and nothing you can say will sway me.  This is disheartening because it means if we can’t agree on the facts then we will struggle to prayerfully discern/decide if there is injustice.  Yet, that is exactly where we are today.  Each side of any debate claims injustice with facts they think back them up.  How can we creatively and curiously investigate experiences and encounters with others, especially those who don’t see or experience the moment in the same way?  This question is the challenge of our time!  Secondly, Dr. King encourages negotiations, each side talking to each other trying to find where there might be some agreement and where we are as distant as the rims of the Grand Canyon ~ perhaps agreeing on where we are distant and disconnected is a great place to start.  Third is the step that is the hardest for us, self-purification.  That is, I need to remember that there is always a twig or log in my own eye!  My point of view is a view from a point, as Richard Rohr brilliantly says.  This is vital because before I act, I need to acknowledge my own brokenness and humanness.  I am not a prophet appointed by God to right all wrongs and save the world.  I am a beloved of God called to work for the restoration, healing, and wholeness for all creation in my human size self.  I play one part, not all parts.  Too often I think we hear something want to rush and race to direct action ~ solve the problem instantly and immediately we cry out. 

Perhaps, you might think, Dr. King’s steps are antiquated or analog, that we need a new way of moving from prayer to action.  For me, prayer and action are forever a spiritual spiral.  I prayerfully ask God to guide my feet while I run this race.  Then, I try to take a step forward ~ often stumbling.  I act in some way.  Then, I return to prayer and seeking God.  We don’t just ask God to baptize our agenda once and for all…it is a continual call of faith, repentance (which means to change my mind), and to recommit to work with God. 

I pray you might ponder the interaction and intermingling of prayer and action in your life for this week and the year to come.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal of Our Soul Part 3

  “We are all human beings. We are all feeling this emotion together at the same time. And this is uniting us. We are not separate.”   Alice...