Monday, September 11, 2023

Curriculum called, "Your Life"

 


I recently heard an interview with Michael Bungay Stanier where he was discussing his new book (How to Work with (Almost) Anyone) and some of the questions/exercises he suggests helping you be open and curious and connect with others.  I found what Mr. Bungay Stanier said both informational and inspirational.  In particular, he shared a few questions I would like you to ponder prayerfully with me this week.

First question, what is your best?  I know this can sound awkwardly phrased, and that is intentional.  We are more accustomed to answering, what am I good at or where have I earned a degree.  Moreover, as a Midwesterner from the top of my head to pinkie toe, I was taught to never get too big for my britches.  The word “best” makes me shift uncomfortably or feel like bragging.  Yet, know that you don’t have to share your response to this question with another person, although I would love to talk with you about this!  Mr. Bungay Stanier says that best is different than good at ~ for example you may be good at leading a meeting and following Robert and Rules of Order ~ but feel drained by the experience.  You may have a set of skills in a particular area but find it to be soul crushing and mind numbing and life zapping.  What is your best may not even be a particular set of marketable skills, but moments you are most fully alive.  For example, what is my best is out hiking in creation breathing in the oxygen the tree I am passing just shared with me ~ connecting us in the beautiful web of life.  What is my best can be writing, even when I make grammatical mistakes or spelling errors that would make my third grade English teacher sigh ~ note that “best” does not mean “perfect”.  That which you love, where you let your light shine, where you get caught up in what is called flow ~ losing track of time.  This can be with people or by yourself.  This can be in a particular place or way of being.  I pray you will spend time today holding this question, letting the wonderful awkwardness of it delight you.  

As we do this, today I acknowledge families for whom this day causes a wave of grief.  Many of us remember where we were on this day 22 years ago when we heard about the attack in New York, Washington DC, and PA.  I was in Des Moines, IA, my parents’ living, as I had just been ordained in my home UCC church on September 9.  We offer our love to families who continue to hurt and seek justice.  We pray for the ongoing wars that are happening in our world, where too often violence is the first and only response countries have toward each other.  We pray for a world where we will turn our swords into plow shares and where we would risk a love that can embrace our enemies.  Remembering that love can be fierce and have a strong back ~ while also living the truth that each person is a beloved child of God.  Truly, when I live this way, it is my best.  Let us pray: God of all times and places and people, we pray for the families for whom September 11th has left a constant ache and heartbreak.  We pray for victims who died in the twin towers, on airplanes, first responders who risked running toward the destruction, and travelers who fought back downing an aircraft.  There is so much we will never know about this day, so we stay open to the experiences of others who bravely and boldly speak out.  We pray for comfort and care for those who will shed tears today and stand in solidarity with all who are worn out and weary.  For a world where violence is our only response, so us another way.  Let Your peace, love and presence be with all this day.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal of our Soul Part 4

  Engaging with art means we have to slow down to allow a new experience to enter which perhaps cannot be accessed in another way. It can be...