Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Psalm 3

 


Within the psalms, sometimes we will get a note on the context.  Psalm 3 is one such place.  It is said David wrote this psalm while fleeing for his life!  His own son, Absalom (I know, great name!) rebelled and claimed the throne from his father David.  And you thought your family was the one who put “fun” in dysfunction.  David is running away with fear and terror.  You hear this in first two verses:

 Eternal One, my adversaries are many, too many to count.
    Now they have taken a stand against me!
Right to my face they say,
    “God will not save you!”

Ever feel that way?  I know my ten-year-old self that still resides in me, feels my adversaries are too great on the playgrounds of life.  I look around and feel my middle school self, is startled when I encounter someone bigger than me who looks angry.  When I read the news or talk to people about the pool of tears in their life/battles they are facing, it can feel like “my adversaries are many, too many to count.”  I hear this in our church with our LGBTQ siblings and African Americans sisters and brothers.  I hear this in church when people feel like God is distant in their life.  I feel this sometimes when I look at the mountain of despair, we are trying to hew a stone of hope from in these days. 

David continues to sing by the campfire that night, notice how his song of blues, turns to a hymn of praise in these words,

But You, Eternal One, wrap around me like an impenetrable shield.
    You give me glory and lift my eyes up to the heavens.
I lift my voice to You, Eternal One,
    and You answer me from Your sacred heights.

[pause]

I lie down at night and fall asleep.
    I awake in the morning—healthy, strong, vibrant—because the Eternal supports me.
No longer will I fear my tens of thousands of enemies
    who have surrounded me!

Rise up, O Eternal One!
    Rescue me, O God!
For You have dealt my enemies a strong blow to the jaw!
    You have shattered their teeth! Do so again.

Liberation truly comes from the Eternal.
    Let Your blessings shower down upon Your people.

[pause]

Liberation, our freedom, comes not from others or even ourselves, but from God.  That has been, is, and will always be the good news.  That we need not be defined or confined by the words of others ~ yes, those words and actions hurt.  Yes, we lament and stand for justice.  And while we work, we seek to be a safe place where liberation can be tasted, and love can be practiced.  This is the work of God for the people of God each day.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Hymnal of Our Soul Part 3

  “We are all human beings. We are all feeling this emotion together at the same time. And this is uniting us. We are not separate.”   Alice...