Monday, December 5, 2022

Advent 2 ~ Peace

 


I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day is based on an 1863 poem, “Christmas Bells” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow.  A bit of backstory here is very helpful.  In 1861, Longfellow’s wife, whom he deeply/dearly loved, was fatally burned in an accidental fire.  Then, in 1863, Longfellow’s son, Charles Appleton Longfellow was badly injured serving in the Union Army during the Civil War.  I point this out because the power/poignancy of this Carol points to the truth peace isn’t just wishful thinking; peace isn’t sweeping the brokenness under the rug of life to pretend the hurt isn’t there; peace isn’t putting frosting on a burnt sugar cookie to disguise what isn’t right.  Peace, true peace, isn’t found by avoiding pain, but by going through the difficulty. 

 

Peace that we long for in these day with all that is swirling and stirring within us…can’t be found out there…purchased from Amazon and delivered to our doorstep…peace ~ like it’s sibling hope ~ is a muscle you and I need to exercise.  Peace can’t be given, but the more subversive truth is that it can’t be taken away either – but too often we give peace away unaware.  I invite you to read the lyrics of this hymn slowly, savoring the emotions laid out here.

 

I heard the bells on Christmas day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on Earth, good will to all.

 

And the bells are ringing (peace on Earth)
Like a choir they're singing (peace on Earth)
In my heart I hear them (peace on Earth)
Peace on Earth, good will to all.

 

And in despair I bowed my head
"There is no peace on Earth, " I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on Earth, good will to all.

 

Wait…re-read that honest, heartfelt last verse. ~ When have those words been your words?  Do you hear Longfellow’s own lament in those words?

 

Then rang the bells more loud and deep
God is not dead, nor doth God sleep
(Peace on Earth)
(Peace on Earth)
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on Earth, good will to all.

 

Notice the resolution is to wake up that God is not distant or disconnected or disinterested.  God is here ~ which is what the name, “Emmanuel” means.  This doesn’t mean that bad things won’t happen ~ shown in what we heard of Longfellow’s life.  But being open to God’s presence can help, heal, remind us of the holy hovering especially in the tension and turmoil. 

 

Prayer: God, let Your peace enter my heart, be heard in my words, felt through my presence, let Your peace be on earth and let this holy prayer begin with me.  Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Prayer

  God, there is a sweet, sweet Spirit in this place that hovers and hums and holds us.   God, You continue to conduct the music of our soul ...