Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Being the One ~ Gratitude Part 3

 


“When it comes to life the critical thing is whether you take things for granted or take them with gratitude.  I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

 

Recently I was in a class where the facilitator said, “What gospel is your self-criticism and constant cynicism trying to teach and tell you?  And does it lead to life?”  Those questions have stayed with me.  The constant chatter in my mind loves to point out all that is wrong and broken and less than ~ both within and around me.  The commentary that accompanies my life can be laser-focused on why the person said that or do that hurtful thing.  When I focus so much on that, I miss the laughter of my daughter or how delicious my coffee tastes.  It doesn’t have to be either/or, dualistic, choose only one.  We need to grieve…something we don’t do very well.  We need to process the pain that so many of us carry around on the shelves of our souls.  When I survey what is there in the storeroom of my life, I can be shocked when I realize and recognize that something I thought I got over is still hanging around.  For example, there is a comment by that person I told myself I was totally over…not gonna let that person steal my joy.  But then, almost out-of-the-blue it is like the scar is brushed against and starts to throb again.  I find myself having an imaginary debate with that person and what s/he said back in January.  Oh, our minds and hearts and souls can carry around more luggage than a Boeing 747!! 

 

Gratitude re-focuses our vision.  Gratitude can direct us in new ways.  Gratitude opens me to the wonder of life.  The wonder of the typing words that I can post online for people thousands of miles away to read.  The wonder of the bird singing outside my window.  The wonder of air conditioning helping to keep me comfortable.  Wonder.  Where does gratitude help guide you today?  How might this help you live in the wonder of the moment that is called “the present”?  May those questions evoke and provoke you as you live.   May God’s grace, gratitude, peace, presence, and love fill you each second today.  Amen. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Friday Morning Prayer

  God of a new month, where what is unresolved from April can linger and leave an imprint, meet us in ways that we sense Your presence as Ch...