Thursday, December 16, 2021

Joy Part Four

 


Videos of dogs…or cats…or comedians…or old sitcoms from your youth…or bad jokes like this one:

 

Three people are stuck on an island. One day, the three of them are walking along the beach and discover a magic lamp. They rub and rub, and sure enough, out pops a genie.

The genie says: “Since I can only grant three wishes, you may each have one.”

The first says: “I’ve been stuck here for years. I miss my family, my husband, and my life. I just want to go home.” Poof, he’s gone!

Then the second says: “I’ve been stuck here for years as well. I miss my family, my husband, and my life. I wish I could go home too.” Poof, she’s gone!

The third man starts crying uncontrollably. The genie asks: “My dear, what’s the matter?”

The man whimpers: “I miss my two friends who just left, I wish they were still here.”

 

I’ll wait while you laugh…or groan…or both.

 

Today, I want to encourage you to keep tending and turning toward that which brings you joy.  Each day if we would do one act that brings us joy, what a difference that might make.  What if, rather than using “joy” as a reward, you start with joy.  What if you started the day with what brings a smile to your face, warms your heart, and stirs your soul.  As one author put it in the title of his book, “Eat Dessert First.”  Or sing out loud.  Or sit silently in the shade of a tree. 

 

If we do not cultivate and create space for joy, the voices of the world ~ the demands of our inner and our outer voices ~ will keep telling us to defer or delay our joy.  Yet, joy is here.  Joy is not a destination; joy is the way we can choose to go.  May you seek out joy and discover joy was right beside you all along.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hymn of the Month

  Yesterday, I asked you to look back on your life, look around, and look ahead at this month of May.   I pray you found ways to let your sh...